You are here
Forestcluster Ltd, the Strategic Centre for the forest sector, is expanding its activities from research focused on the forest industry also towards other areas of the bio-based economy. As a result of the metamorphosis it is now Finnish Bioeconomy Cluster FIBIC Oy.
Our new name and identity strengthen last years’ strategic development. Our activity expands from a purely the forest based focus towards the future bioeconomy focus.
The role of FIBIC is to strengthen the links between different bioeconomy related industries and to catalyze active research cooperation. This will enable creation of even radically new materials, products, processes and services.
The poster highlighted FuBio results on using hemicelluloses as basis for the production of free, transparent and flexible films.
The breakthrough is a result of broad national cooperation. The FuBio research on hemicellulose extraction, up-grading and application is performed at several Finnish universities (Aalto University, Lappeenranta University of Technology, Tampere University of Technology, University of Helsinki, University of Oulu and Åbo Akademi University), research organizations (Metla and VTT), as well as a leading company in the packaging sector (Stora Enso).
Results from Forestcluster Ltd's programs were widely present at SHOK Summit 2012. Heikki Hassi from Avilon had interesting presentation in the morning seminar session. Jaakko Kangasjärvi, University of Helsinki and Risto Kallio, Stora Enso Oyj gave excellent short Hyde Park presentations. In addition, Forestcluster results were presented in 5 posters and 4 short videos. The complete material can be found on SHOK.fi.
Seminar (Forestcluster Ltd's presentation)
Hyde Park (Forestcluster Ltd's presentations)
- Functional genomics and trees, Jaakko Kangasjärvi, University of Helsinki
- Ideation process for radical market innovations, Risto Kallio, Stora Enso Oyj
SHOK results (Forestcluster Ltd's posters)
- Simulating Pulp Bleaching Chemistry
- Biobased pigment-nanocellulose substrate for printed electronics
- From oil plastics to wood plastics
- Cars made out of wood?
- Foam forming - renewal of fiber products
SHOKTUBE (Forestcluster Ltd's videos)
- Novel, sustainable spinning technology for textile fibres, Herbert Sixta and Michael Hummel, Aalto University
- Competence and testing facilities for innovative BIOMATERIALS, Ali Harlin and Mika Härkönen, VTT
- Developing FIBER PROCESS INNOVATIONS at VTT Suora Pilot Plant, Janne Poranen and Terhi Saari, VTT
- BOTTOM OF THE PYRAMID consumer practices in the developing markets, Minna Halme, Aalto University
Scientific research has confirmed the health-promoting effects of wood-based compounds. Ground-breaking multidisciplinary studies launched by Forestcluster Ltd. have already yielded promising clues to new wood-based compounds that will promote wellbeing and health.
EffFibre stakeholder workshop "Biodiversity Indicators for the Finnish Forest Industry" was held at Finnish Environment Institute on 14.3.2012. Stakeholders from Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Metsähallitus, forest industry, VTT and SYKE gave valuable ideas and comments on biodiversity indicator development work. In the workshop, the stakeholders chose 8 suitable forest biodiversity indicators to be developed further for the use of Finnish forest industry.
For information please contact: Markku Leskelä, +358 50 5987665, firstname.lastname@example.org