You are here
Future Biorefinery will create a new national competence platform in processing of wood biomass and thus, stimulate the transformation of the forest cluster.
The research programme aims at generating innovations that can either be implemented as a part of existing industry operations, or which open up entirely new wood-based value chains. Bioplastics, new composite materials and various bio-chemicals are examples of potential new end-products. The Future Biorefinery is part of Tekes Biorefine programme.
The objective of Future Biorefinery is to develop new methods enabling fractionation of wood into cellulose,hemicelluloses, lignin and extractives in their native-like form and further, to upgrade these fractions into chemicals and materials. The structure of the program is designed in a manner that facilitates integration of the new value chains also to current pulp mills as well as to emerging biorefineries producing transport biofuels as a by-product.
The program consists of six themes.
- Theme 1: Fractionation technologies (Theme Leader Klaus Niemelä, VTT)
The focus of Theme is fractionation of wood and separation of black liquor hydroxy acids.
- Theme 2: Cellulose for material applications (Theme Leader Anna Suurnäkki, VTT)
In Theme cellulose are up-graded into value-added chemicals and materials.
- Theme 3: Hemicelluloses for materials and hydroxy acids (Theme Leader Annaleena Kokko, VTT)
In Theme hemicelluloses are up-graded into value-added chemicals and materials.
- Theme 4: Lignin for energy and materials (not active in the beginning)
In this Theme a desk top study on the possibilities of black liquor gasification and pyrolysis is performed.
- Theme 5: Biochemicals for protection of goods and health (Theme Leader Pekka Saranpää, Metla)
Theme is focusing on extraction and up-grading of extracted components.
- Theme 0: Management (Program Manager Niklas von Weymarn, VTT)
In addition to administrative tasks the theme will also include generation of a modeling platform for evaluation of the new value chains.
- Scientific publications
- Conference presentations and posters
- Articles in magazines
- Press release
Future Biorefinery, one of three focus areas of Forestcluster Ltd, has been active since 2009. The main results from the first 2-year period are now available in the form of a Programme Report (link below). Future Biorefinery (FuBio) is a globally-leading research programme in the field of wood-based biorefining research and development, with a volume of about EUR 10 million per annum. FuBio engages over 100 researchers in Finland and abroad. For more information please contact: Programme Manager Niklas von Weymarn (+358 40 5476977, email@example.com).
- Program Manager Niklas von Weymarn, firstname.lastname@example.org , +358 (0) 40 547 69 77
- Mikael Hannus, Chairperson of FuBio steering committee, email@example.com